Membership in the Society shall consist of the following categories: Active Members, Associate Members, Student Members, Educator Members, Professional Affiliate Members, Retired Members, Non/Resident Members and Honorary Members.
To be eligible for active membership in the Society, an individual must possess the following
(1) Have attained their eighteenth birthday
(2) (a) hold a valid certificate as a Registered Public Accountant or Certified Public Accountant issued by the New Mexico State Board of Public Accountancy, or
(b) are Enrolled to Practice before the Internal Revenue Service, or
(c) have an associate or baccalaureate degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting, or
(d) are Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Accountancy in either Accountancy or Taxation, or
(e) have been approved by the Board of Governors.
(3) and demonstrate to the satisfaction of a majority of the members of the Society's Board of Governors adherence to the fundamental purposes of the Society as stated in Article I, Section 2 of these Bylaws.
(4) Have filed a formal application, accompanied by payment of dues and administrative fees as prescribed herein.
(5) In order to renew Active Membership, applicants attest that they have earned the number of hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) consistent with the New Mexico State Board of Public Accountancy or other federal licensing agency. If fewer than the required number of CPE hours are presented, an applicant will be renewed as an Active Member on Probationary Status for a period of time not to exceed one (1) year. If the CPE requirements are not met within the probationary time period, membership will be forfeited in accordance with Article X. On proof of illness or disability, CPE requirements may be waived at the discretion of the Board of Governors.
Persons who meet the requirements of either one of the following subsections shall be eligible
for Associate Membership in the Society at no more than two-thirds of the dues assessed annually for
(1) Individuals or employees of accounting firms and tax practitioner firms.
(2) Individuals in government, financial institutions, private sector businesses or non-profit entities, whose primary duties are in the field of accountancy.
Student Members shall include persons pursuing a course of study in accounting, business administration or related subjects in a college, university or business school on a full*time basis.
Membership procedures and dues for Student Members shall be determined by the Board of Governors.
Educator Members shall include educators who are employed as instructors in accounting at an
accredited university, college or community college.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATE MEMBERS
Professional Affiliate Members shall include those who provide resources to members such as vendors of software products or publication firm representatives.
Retired Members shall include persons who have been Active members of the Society for ten continuous years, who have attained the age of 65 or over, and who have retired from public practice. Retired status may be granted upon application to the Executive committee of the Society. Such application shall be subject to review and approval by the President of the Society.
Non-Resident Members shall include persons who do not reside in the State of New Mexico and who would otherwise qualify for membership in this Society. Dues for Non-Resident Members shall be determined by the Board of Governors.
Honorary Members shall be limited to those who have rendered exceptional and distinguished service to the accounting profession, no dues shall be assessed.
Only Active Members shall be eligible to vote or hold office. All other members shall have all the privileges of Active Members except those of voting and holding office.
ELECTION OF MEMBERSHIP
Upon election each member shall be entitled to a certificate denoting his/her type of membership and membership card, setting forth that he/she is a member upon receipt of dues for the current year.